In team development news, there is currently a theme among the teams I work with as we enter the fall and the world around us continues to spin. This collective desire I am hearing among leaders is how do keep employee engagement rolling in these crazy, chaotic times? It sent me into my archives of employee engagement content as I pulled out the key themes among top leadership gurus. In the layout below I have included these focus areas along with some thought-provoking questions to help you evaluate how well you are engaging with your employees and possible actions steps moving forward.
1. Everyone wants to be part of a bigger story.
- When was the last time your team heard the company’s vision for the next 1-3 years?
- Does your team regularly connect/communicate with other departments?
- Can you tell your team has clarity of expectations within their job?
2. Everyone wants to be known (to be seen & heard) within a team.
- Do you regularly have formal and informal coaching/performance reviews with each team member?
- Do you give more positive affirmation than corrective action?
- How often do you seek to tap into your team member's potential?
3. Everyone wants to feel like their job has purpose and meaning.
- Are you checking in with your team’s workload to make sure they are managing it well and not overwhelmed?
- Do you see noticeable areas of growth your team has made in the past year? As well as areas you can make a priority in the coming year?
- Are you aware of any additional stress in your team’s life that you need to be mindful of as you assign their workload?
4. Everyone can only lead as well as they are taking care of themselves.
- Go back through and read through these questions in terms of how you are doing and what you might need from your boss and team?
- How are you managing/balancing your personal and professional life?
- How are you doing spiritually, relationally, physically, and mentally?